The East London Camera Club was founded in Alice in the Eastern Cape in 1945 and the East London photographic society was founded on the 13th July 1948 and consisted of fifty members, the first elected president being Dr L Pentz.
Mr. Victor Hougaard, of the East London photographic society, judging prints entered in one of the club's recent monthly competitions – Daily Dispatch 1956
The society became affiliated to the Royal Photographic Society on the 4th August 1948. The Societies first photographic outing was arranged to Buffalo Pass for Sunday 5th September 1948
The cover of the East London photographic Societies monthly magazine "Perspective" from June 1981. The cover photograph is "Nothaka" by Duncan Moody
The first Border International Salon of Photography was held on the 8th February 1958 with the judges being: Dr AD Bensusan FRPS FPSA, Dr J Denfield ARPS APSA, Mr. R Treneer ARPS FPSA
East London Photographic Society president, Mr. Ronald King (left) and salon organizer, Mr. Peter Filmer, view the gold medal exhibits – Daily Dispatch 1979